WINTER SALAD WITH ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
Jingles loves to eat salad. Here is one of his favorite holiday inspired creations that is light but packed with flavor.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Clean jar with tight-fitting lid
- Medium-sized bowl
- Salad servers or tongs
- Box grater (adult needed)
For the Orange Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 orange, peeled and pulled apart into sections
- 1⁄2 cup toasted green pumpkin seeds (or another toasted seed or nut)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese or crumbled feta cheese
- Make the Orange Vinaigrette: Put all the vinaigrette ingredients in the jar, screw the lid on tightly, and shake until well mixed.
- Make the Salad: Put all the salad ingredients in the bowl, add half the vinaigrette, and toss well. Taste a piece of lettuce. Does it need more dressing? If so, add it and toss again.
- Serve right away. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Share your creations on our Facebook page or Jingles’ Instagram page.
Jingles couldn’t make this Advent Calendar happen without the generosity of sponsors like Wegmans.Tomorrow will be filled with fun and memories, and we hope that you will share a picture for all to see how you brought hope to those in our community. Be sure to get a photo tomorrow morning of everyone in your home on Christmas morning.
Jingles’ Fact Of The Day:
Through the Food Bank of the Southern Tier’s partnership with Feeding America, they receive large quantities of donated food directly from manufacturers and can purchase needed items at wholesale costs.